The graduate school will finance nine PhD students enrolled 80% over a five-year period, with remaining the 20% engagement in teacher education at one of the partner departments. This will allow students to gain knowledge and critical understanding of the three research foundations, to develop new up-to date specialized knowledge of relevance to the theme, and to gain methodological and analytical expertise in the individual project and overall field. It will also provide experience of teaching in teacher education, while conducting research of relevance for it, so that the research expertise can be incorporated into teacher education.

Compulsory courses

Three courses and two seminars (40 credits in total) will be compulsory for the PhD students. These courses will be developed collaboratively by the partners. The courses establish a coherent core of theoretical, methodological, and empirical knowledge related to the theme of the program.

  1. Relevancing mathematics and science education for social justice (7,5 credits).
  2. In/exclusion in mathematics and science education (7,5 credits).
  3. Critical and participatory methodologies in didactics research (10 credits).
  4. Seminar on research ethics in didactics research (7,5 credits).
  5. Seminar on the role of research and researchers in teacher education and professional development (7,5 credits).

Optional courses

To meet the local requirements at the respective university, the PhD students, in consultation with supervisors, will choose other courses from those offered at the three partners or other universities, to fit the needs of each PhD project.

Regular seminars

Students will participate in the regular research seminars offered at the department at which they are enrolled, as well as regular joint seminars with supervisors from the graduate school and invited guest researchers. In these seminars the students will get the opportunity to develop a capacity for scholarly analysis and synthesis, through presenting their own work and through reading and commenting on others.

Participation in conferences and short stay abroad

Students are expected to participate in national and international conferences to present their work. They are encouraged to organize a minimum of 2 weeks stay in a research environment outside of Sweden, where they can interact with researchers of relevance for their work.


Students will write a compilation thesis comprising four articles of which, on average, 2-3 will be published in international journals at the time of the defense.

10%, 50% and 90% seminars

These seminars will be organized in connection with the visit of advisory board members so that students can benefit from their comments.

Electronic collaboration platform

The program will promote and ensure sustained discussion and collaboration among PhD students and the team of supervisors at the three partners.

For further details see: